Thursday, January 8, 2009

First week Todos Santos

--We came upon  a release of turtle hatchlings, these are Olive Ridley Turtles, that are part of a turtle rescue program here.  They collected eggs and buried them in a safe spot (poachers) then when they are ready, they dig them up and release them into the ocean.  This is a newly hatched turtle in Ori's hand, still damp from the egg and covered with sand.  We were worried about being too rough with them, but when they go into the surf they get pummeled by big waves.
--Ann is excited because she volunteered to help collect Leatherback Turtle (extreemly endangered) eggs tonight when the adult turtles come up to lay eggs, though it sounds like it means staying up all night.
--Today I got my studio set up and found odorless mineral spirits.  I had bought "turpentine" at a hardware store but it smelled like gasoline so I couldn't use it.  I am used to Gamsol.  I found a small art supply/surf shop in a small town about 6 miles south of here, Pescadero.  

No comments: