Sunday, November 30, 2008

Drawing

--It's one thing to have a lot of ideas and have convictions about issues that are really important, but it's quite another thing to make a work of art that is compelling or feels successful in some way.  
--I've started making drawings, pencil and ink with brush, which is the way I start all my paintings.  They are very loose and sketchy, but it gives me a way to develop compositional ideas, foreground/background relationships, and build a non-thinking kind of narrative.
--Sometimes I will start with a post-it note sized drawing with a couple dozen lines on it, but it will have a certain slant or feeling that I like.
--Making the painting is when all the development happens and I discover what the painting is really about.
--I will post some of the drawings as they rise to the surface; already I have discovered ideas about the scope of the project as a whole, as I've moved the drawings around and tried different configurations. 

No comments: