Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Robert Frost Project

--How did I come to the idea of Robert Frost as a theme for my proposal?  I started by making lists of basic concepts that I was interested in, with some thoughts to a visual component that could correspond with those.   My concepts were things like "Agriculture", "Hunting", "Technology"... one I came up with was "Cabin in the Woods", which I liked because it symbolized an independent, self reliant spirit which characterized a classic Vermonter, but also symbolized Vermont itself - separate from the rest of the country, isolated, self sufficient...
--Later, while making some drawings, I was reminded of the story from earlier this year of Robert Frost's cabin being vandalized, and after doing a little research, was struck by the importance of his poetry and the possibility of his story becoming relevant to my project.
--There has to be for me an image before an idea can develop.  In this case a meadow, looking through trees and brush (past birds and animals...) in the meadow a small unpainted cabin (a figure in front of the cabin?)
--Economic climate:  a friend asked me if I thought the economic collapse would lead to a "Mad Max" scenario.  I said I was imagining a world in which people took public transportation, walked, or rode bicycles, planted vegetable gardens and ate less meat.  
--Robert Frost was a farmer off and on for his entire life.
 
 

1 comment:

Susan Abbott said...

Hi, Colin. I've been listening to a cd called "New England Storylines" (from Kellogg-Hubbard library in Montpelier), a series of programs by NH Public Radio featuring New England authors. One hour is on Frost, with poet Robert Pinsky commenting on Frost's impact on other writers, and his relationship to the VT and NH landscape. Seems like he cast a big shadow on both.