Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fire at Las Palmas


On Thursday there was a big fire at one of our favorite beaches, Las Palmas, sweeping through the tall grass and palm trees that are in that canyon. 
It isn't known how the fire started; everything is very dry here and it is easy to imagine how a blaze could get out of control.
There is a history of fire among those palm groves as is evident by the blackened trunks, and it is unclear how regular fire is or if fire is used to keep underbrush  cleared out.
The grass will all grow back and the palms are charred but still green on top.
This punctuated the end of a week for me in which two good people died, my dear old uncle, Bill Brant, and an old friend I've known since my college days, Zeb Stewart.


2 comments:

Curtis said...

amazing photo of the fire...

did you get one without the lines? they look like they were far away, and even if you didn't, this one is great.

sparkle said...

No, I didn't get one without power lines, I didn't even see them there, I was so focused on the smoke...